Friday, 7 October 2011

Last of the Sunshine
















I don't know about you, but here in England we have just had a tremendous week. The cause? Sunny, even hot, weather in the middle of autumn. It's positively endearing, this British habit of professing to the world through a loudspeaker about the weather, should they (or is it we? have I become one of them?) be fortunate enough to be blessed with even a few days' worth of splendid sunshine. Is there really nothing else to talk about, when the country is going into financial decline? Perhaps that's exactly what it is, some sort of escapism from the dreariness of hearing 'NHS this, reform that' on the news every day. Yet this country is one of astonishing wealth and beauty, with so many traditions and achievements that there is no need for doom and gloom. I will say this until my tongue goes blue: beautiful, beautiful Britain, how lucky I am to call you my home! 
Am I getting cheesier than a Mature Cathedral Cheddar yet? If so, let us swiftly revert to the original theme of this post and act like nothing happened (unless the last reference has made you disappear momentarily in the direction of the fridge). A walk to the local lakes on one of those blissfully perfect afternoons was the perfect reward for slaving over my university reading/application all weekend. Boater hat perched proudly on my head and flower garland on my sister's, old wooden badminton rackets in our hands, me wearing a vintage wartime-chic Laura Ashley dress in a liberty print with a lace collar. The only thing reminding us we were not in the 40s were the cars and dog-walkers slowing down to throw us a bewildered glance or two. What a difference to my post a year ago featuring the very same place!

~
Dress, Laura Ashley, vintage
Belt, vintage

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful & enchanting! I adore every last thing about this post from the whimsical location to the vintage dress. The weather has been the same here in the States as well & I enjoying every last drop of warmth & sunshine I can get:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful hair! love it :)

    xx

    natalieoffduty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. jeeze dina, you're so pretty! aha, anyway. it's been nice to have hot weather as it's such a novelty, but i'm going to make no pretences and say that i'm definitely a winter girl (tights, scarves, coats... love!). as long as it stops being so windy (i don't know whether it's just like this in liverpool?) i can't wait for the cooler months (: xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. soooo beautiful! love the graininess and the first lot of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the racket! especially with the hat x

    ReplyDelete
  6. The photos with the sun behind you are just beautiful!

    http://iammeggy.blogspot.com

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, I absolutely love that dress! Such a perfect photoshoot to go with it, too. Very ethereal!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. These photos are dreamy - I love them and they really captured the beauty of last weekend.

    Alas I am rather caught up in the doom and gloom going on in the country, but then I think that anything that effects the ability of the NHS to help the poor and ill people of this country is a pretty gloomy thing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Willow, Willow. What a beautiful post. I feel the same way - and it's not technically my country, either (England). I still feel in my honeymoon phase about this city, this country.. my baby brother, who is a musician, and who has been working with, living with, touring, since he was 15, with primarily older British musicians, used to say that if you listen to what the British say about weather, you'll hear within their words everything that they want to say about their feelings, but can't.

    It's like talking about the weather - which, as a passionate NYer well schooled in the art of talking about feelings without feeling I'm revealing anything - is talking in code, to an English person.

    And I guess also because it's such a small island, and because even one cloud can pass over the whole nation in an hour, the moods of weather do really affect our feelings here.

    But not just your words: these are the most beautiful photos. To quote Rebecca, 'jeeze dina, you're so pretty!'

    My husband has called me 7, 8 times - or more - since I started this long comment. I've been meaning to get in touch for a while, and I know you're tied up with school etc - anyway, he's freaking out because University Challenge is on, and he needs me to help him win. It's so sad, but he actually competes with the people inside the television set.

    Speak & hopefully see you soon! jCx xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures, your hair looks great and such a pretty floral dress.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are read, I assure you - and responded to, when I have a moment to spare!