Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Frieze Please: Frieze Art Fair 2011 Highlights Pt.1

Gillian Wearing, Self Portrait of Me Now in Mask, Maureen Paley Gallery

 Cornelia Parker, 30 Pieces of Silver (with reflection), Frith Street Gallery

 Roger Hiorns, Untitled, Annet Gelink Gallery

David Noonan, Untitled, David Kordansky Gallery

 
 Nathalie Djurberg, Animals, Gio Marconi Gallery

 Hernan Bas, Doily Pads, Galerie Peter Kilchmann

 

 Hernan Bas, Untitled from the series "a bunch of fairies", Galerie Peter Kilchmann

 Hernan Bas, Two fairies (or, in the fairy ring), Galerie Peter Kilchmann 

 Unknown 

 Adam Fuss, from the series "my ghost"

 Thomas Houseago, Earth Mask II, Hauser & Wirth

 Pawel Althamer, The Billy-Goat

Unknown with M's Feet, by me

 Robert Mapplethorpe, Lisa Lyon

Unknown

Michael Wutz, Untitled etching, Aurel Scheibler

 Tom Burr, Fading in a Manhattan Sunset, Sommer Contemporary Art

Part the first of my favourite artworks at Frieze 2011. I know, it seems like aeons ago but I wanted to post about it for a while. One way to describe Frieze would be systematic bombardment of the senses through the medium of Art in a white tent several kilometres long, with hordes of enviably dressed personages parading themselves (if they are important or famous) or meekly glancing over heads (if they are mere mortals). The colossal space is a dazzling patchwork of galleries from all over the world, showcasing artists from Magritte to Emin, from the Chapman brothers to Ryan McGinley. It is nigh on impossible to see everything, and to describe the variety of work on display, so I will let the photos do the talking. Part the second to follow, if I ever get to breathe again between preparing my own artwork for assessments, university interviews, reading and suspending myself in a state of nervous agitation to do with the aforementioned.  

3 comments:

  1. I love Cornelia Parker's work, I remember when I saw it for the first time at the Tate Modern (well, I'm pretty sure it was there) and thought it was fantastic. Good luck with the interview next week! You'll be fantastic (: xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic exhibit! I wish I could stop by London to see it.

    http://thefoolishaesthete.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. \wowww that's some seriously impressive linkage! Frieze looks brilliant - Glad you got to go! One of my best friends worked on the set up and now when I see photos of the fair all I can look out is the painfully constructed skirting board! haha
    Love some of the sculptures! big hugs - lovely to have met you at Motel xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are read, I assure you - and responded to, when I have a moment to spare!