Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Ladylike














 
 










M@$$iV3 vIntigE L@yDeE

A post to celebrate last night's return of Downton Abbey, perhaps? Not that I've had the chance to see it yet, what with getting in from London Fashion Week with a head-splitting migraine last night. Fear not, that was probably the only bad thing that happened over the weekend, the rest of which was pretty darn spectacular...

As someone who is proud to advocate dressing up with a conscious effort against consumerism and torture of the Earth/its furry and feathered inhabitants - most of my clothes bought secondhand from charity shops and car boot sales - I do feel a little hypocritical doing this post. However, who doesn't like trying something different, a little bit of dressing up just for a day? Especially when you have an exact idea of how you want to look but frustratingly don't usually have the means to buy the right items to recreate the exact image that's in your head (although of course, this could rightly be referred to as, *ahem*, 'first world problems'). 

Let me assure you, as I had already awkwardly explained to a reporter whilst doing a TV interview at Somerset House (let's hope that one doesn't surface any time soon) that the fur is as faux as can be - no possums harmed in the making of this lil' coat. It was one of three pieces I borrowed for the shoot from the Apartment, Abi's latest venture which you will hear about very soon if you haven't already! Along with the bag and cloche hat - a piece that I've been longing to own ever since I started watching Downton and pinning vintage photos from Camden market into my scrapbook - it made a perfect wannabe 1920s ensemble. Okay, so the ladies of the past may have frowned and tutted at the length of my skirt (can just imagine a disdained Maggie Smith muttering bitterly whilst darting scornful daggers at my knees), but neither was I aiming to be dressed exactly like them...

Big thanks to the wonderful Carrie for helping me out with the photos, and Abi for the samples and endless gestures of goodwill throughout LFW.

~
Faux fur coat, Pinko
Patent handbag, Dune
Kitty cloche hat, Hobbs
(all from The Apartment)
Cream lace Mary dress, c/o Monki
Flats, vintage

14 comments:

  1. Ooh I am loving these shots! You look so amazing :D I'm sure in the interview you were lovely! We always think we sound dumber than we do ;)
    http://www.closet-fashionista.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look beautiful, I love the cloche hat on you, definitely suits you <3 I'm sure Maggie would approve of the faux fur (although obvs hers would be real) but not the scandalous length of your dress ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a gorgeous outfit! I love the cloche hat with the lace dress-the Crawleys would definitely approve!

    capturingcastles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your fur coat but love how much you've been posting recently even more!! xx

    prettylittleenvies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. you look so lovely - I adore the hat so much!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This dress is so pretty!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look lovely - I was so excited for Downton to start again especially now the have leapt into 1920's fashion!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking gorgeous - I love that little dress on you and the bright red lips!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you look so pretty!

    from helen at www.thelovecatsinc.com // @thelovecatsinc

    ps. enter my new giveaway to win a dixi arrow bracelet. it's worldwide :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. waa, lovely dress. I also like your hat ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your photographs are truly amazing, so ethereal. I love the outfit too, the hat and coat are dreamy. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful dress and lovely cloche! Reminds me of the scenes from the movie "Changeling" and countless other beautifully shot movies. I recently bought one (cloche) in burgundy..can't wait to don it!

    By the way, I found your blog through Couture and Crumpets! I think I will linger for a while here :)

    http://apennyapiece.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. All comments are read, I assure you - and responded to, when I have a moment to spare!